Modern bathrooms have evolved into havens of relaxation and style, and at the heart of this transformation lies the modern bathtub. No longer just functional fixtures, these tubs are now statement pieces that combine form and function in perfect harmony.
In this guide, we’ll explore 8 modern bathtub types that will elevate your bathroom and redefine your bathing experience.
1. Alcove Tubs
Alcove tubs, also known as three-wall alcove designs, prioritize practicality and space efficiency. They are perfect for tighter spaces and often come with a showerhead. Alcove tubs can be decorated to achieve a high-end look and are easy to clean and maintain.
Price: $350 – $5,000+
Product Dimensions: 20-50+ inches wide by 70-80 inches long
- Practical and functional
- Customizable for a high-end look
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Must be situated in relation to walls
- Generic in feel
Types of Alcove Tubs
- Simple Alcove Tub: A straightforward, cost-effective option.
- Luxury Alcove Tub: More elaborate designs for a touch of luxury.
2. Freestanding Tubs
Freestanding tubs make a striking visual impact in any bathroom. They can be placed near walls or in the center of the room, creating a unique focal point. These tubs are versatile, adding resale value to your home, and can be paired with brushed metal or chrome faucets for a contemporary look.
Price: $2,000 – $5,000+
Product Dimensions: UPC Certified Dimension In Inches: Width 34.3″ Length 70.9″ Height 25.6″
- Striking visual impact
- Artistic and beautiful presence
- Versatile looks
- Adds to home resale value
- Can be situated in the center or toward the center of the room
- No readily available storage for essential items
- Cleaning can be cumbersome
- Cost-prohibitive for many buyers
- May not be practical for all users
- Extremely heavy
Types of Freestanding Tubs
- Clawfoot Tub: Exudes vintage charm and high walls for deep soaking.
- Modern Solid-Base Freestanding Tub: Contemporary design with a solid base.
- Round ‘Soup Bowl’ Freestanding Tub: Large and round for a distinctive look.
- Freestanding in Alcove: Freestanding tubs placed within an alcove.
3. Built-In / Drop-In Tubs
These tubs, also known as platform or deck-mounted tubs, have a drop-in design with the tub’s rim flush with the platform or deck. They are excellent for air tubs and whirlpool tubs, providing a luxurious spa-like experience.
Price: $700 – $5,000+
Product Dimensions: Varies on choice of shape (rectangle, triangle, deep-walled)
- High-end and luxurious spa feel
- Deep soaking functionality
- Premium features
- No-slip grip handles
- Slide scoring units
- Goalie man design
- Can be difficult to get in and out of
- Particularly deep tubs may pose challenges for some users
Types of Drop-In Bathtub Styles
- Standard Built-In Tub: A classic design with high walls.
- Step-Up Drop-In Tub: Featuring a step-up design for easy access.
- Corner Built-In Bathtub Options: Utilizing corner space efficiently.
- Undermount Tub: Rim covered with materials like stone or tile.
- Drop-In Tub in the Center of the Bathroom: For a dramatic look.
4. Hot Tubs
Hot tubs are the epitome of relaxation, featuring air jets and luxurious surroundings. While they come at a higher cost, they offer deep-soaking relaxation and can be a luxurious addition to your bathroom.
Price: $5,000 – $8,000+
Product Dimensions: 92.5 x 92.5 x 32.5 for a medium-size hot tub
5. Japanese-Style Tubs
Known as the Japanese Ofuro or soaking tub, these tubs provide a serene and spa-like experience. They feature gently sloping walls and a freestanding design, offering deep-soaking relaxation opportunities.
Price: $2,000 – $5,000+
Product Dimensions: 30-35+ inches in width by 65-70+ inches in length
6. Walk-In Tubs
Designed for individuals with mobility issues, walk-in tubs offer safety and accessibility. They include a door for easy entry and exit, making bathing independent and convenient.
Price: $2,000 – $5,000+
Product Dimensions: Varies by model
7. Wooden Bathtubs
Wooden bathtubs create an eco-friendly, warm, and harmonious atmosphere in your bathroom. They add a touch of natural elegance and are surprisingly versatile in various bathroom sizes.
Price: $1,500 – $7,000+
8. Bowl-Shaped Modular Bathtubs
Bowl-shaped bathtubs, whether round or oval, bring a modern and versatile touch to smaller bathrooms. Their sleek design creates a shining effect that enhances your bathroom’s aesthetic.
Price: $800 – $3,000+
- Modern and versatile
- Ideal for smaller spaces
- Unique and eye-catching design
- Limited space for stretching out
- May not be suitable for taller individuals
Founded in 2017, Satin and Slate is one of the elite interior design studios in Southern California. Located in Long Beach, this dedicated team of designers oversees from kitchen and bathroom renovations to commercial projects. Equipped with their own showroom/studio they can satisfy the needs of any client. Featuring clean lines, bright colors and fresh ideas Satin and Slate’s mission is to bring your vision to life and help transform your space into something extraordinary.