When it comes to decorating your walls, the options are endless. Two popular choices are painting and wallpapering. Both options have their pros and cons, and deciding which one to go with can be a daunting task. Painting is a classic choice that offers a wide range of colors and finishes, while wallpaper can add texture and pattern to a room.
In this article, we’ll weigh the pros and cons of each option to help you make an informed decision on which is the better choice for your home.
When it comes to cost, painting is generally the more affordable option. The cost of paint and supplies is typically lower than the cost of wallpaper and its installation. Furthermore, if you’re comfortable painting yourself, you can save even more money on labor costs. On the other hand, high-end paints and professional painting services can drive up the cost, while wallpaper can be found at varying price points, making it more accessible to a range of budgets.
Painting is generally a quicker option than wallpapering. Depending on the size of the room, painting can take a day or two to complete, while wallpapering can take several days due to the need for prep work, measuring, and cutting the paper. However, with advancements in wallpaper technology, such as peel-and-stick wallpaper, the time it takes to install wallpaper has significantly decreased.
Paint is generally easier to maintain than wallpaper. Paint can be wiped down with a damp cloth to remove dirt and scuffs, while wallpaper is more susceptible to damage from moisture and may require professional cleaning or replacement. Additionally, if you want to change the color of your walls, it’s much easier to repaint than to remove and replace wallpaper.
Disadvantages of Painting
- Painting requires more frequent touch-ups and may need to be repainted more often than wallpaper needs to be replaced.
- High-quality paint and professional painting services can be expensive.
- Paint can emit harmful chemicals, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), during the application process.
Advantages of Wallpaper
- Wallpaper offers a wide range of patterns and textures that can add depth and interest to a room.
- Wallpaper can cover imperfections in the wall, such as cracks or dents.
- Certain types of wallpaper, such as vinyl, are durable and resistant to moisture and wear.
- Wallpaper can be a long-lasting
Disadvantages of Wallpaper
- Wallpaper installation can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive process.
- Wallpaper can be more difficult and expensive to remove than paint.
- Certain types of wallpaper may not be suitable for all surfaces and may require additional prep work.
- Wallpaper patterns and textures can be difficult to match if additional rolls are needed.
If you liked this article, you might also want to check out Wallpaper: The Do’s and Dont’s.
Founded in 2017, Satin and Slate is one of the elite interior design studios in Southern California. Located in Long Beach, this dedicated team of designers oversees from kitchen and bathroom renovations to commercial projects. Equipped with their own showroom/studio they can satisfy the needs of any client. Featuring clean lines, bright colors and fresh ideas Satin and Slate’s mission is to bring your vision to life and help transform your space into something extraordinary.