5 Downdraft Ventilation Systems to Consider for Your Kitchen Remodel
Appliances are a very important part of a kitchen remodel and while there are major appliances to worry about there are other appliances that are not deemed as important as they should be.
A downdraft ventilation system can be incorporated into a cooktop or it can be sold separately. Depending on the need of your kitchen, a range with a downdraft incorporated can work or if you already have a stove and just want to incorporate a downdraft system it can be bought separately. For this blog post we will be concentrating on 30 in. downdraft ventilation systems that are sold separately.
But you would be asking yourself, what is a downdraft ventilation system?
What is a Downdraft Ventilation System for Kitchens?
A downdraft ventilation system, or pop-up vent, sucks fumes within and then pushes them downward, out through a duct. These vents are commonly called “pop-up downdraft vents” or “telescopic downdraft vents” because they are hidden behind and below the cooktop, until needed.
Top 5 Slide In Ranges Recommended By Interior Designers in Long Beach, CA
- Samsung 30 in. 5.8 cu. ft. Slide-In Gas Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in Stainless Steel
- Frigidaire Gallery 30 in. 5.6 cu. ft. Front Control Gas Range with Air Fry in Smudge-Proof Stainless Steel
- GE 30 in. 5.3 cu. ft. Slide-In Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Oven in Stainless Steel
- Whirlpool 4.8 cu. ft. Slide-In Electric Range in Stainless Steel
- KitchenAid 6.4 cu. ft. Downdraft Slide-In Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in Stainless Steel
Broan RMDD 30 in. 500 CFM Telescopic Downdraft System in Stainless Steel (Model # RMDD3004)
This Broan RMDD 30 in. 500 CFM Telescopic Downdraft System was specifically designed to be compatible with most conventional and commercial style cooktops. It features a seamless design by retracting behind the cooktop when not in use. Made of stainless steel, it provides durability and a sophisticated style.
- 500 CFM blower eliminates smoke and odors from the kitchen
- Chimney rises 9.5 in. when activated – ideal for large pots
- Stylish and easy to remove dishwasher-safe filters
- Retractable downdraft hood rises from behind the cooktop and retracts when not in use, offering a seamless design for your kitchen
- Easy-to-use rotary control lets you adjust the fan speed
- Variable fan speeds let you adjust the speed to fit your needs
- 500 CFM blower to quickly pull smoke and cooking odors out of the air
- Unique ducting capability allows the internal blower connection to be ducted to the left, right or downward (from left to right)
- Grease filter is removable and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Heat Sentry adjusts speed of blower to high automatically in case of excess heat
- Blower will connect directly to 3 in. x 10 in. rectangular duct
- Compact design is installed directly behind the cooktop for an unobtrusive appearance
- 1 year limited warranty
KitchenAid 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft System in Stainless Steel (Model # KXD4630YSS)
Kitchen Aid’s 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft System features a vent that rises 14 in. providing odor free cooking for any kitchen. Designed to provide venting for most cooktops, this downdraft system is perfect for entertaining large parties. It provides a retractable design which allows a seamless style that is compatible with any kitchen.
- 600 CFM accommodates 65K BTU cooking surface threshold
- Retractable design remains flush with cook surface until needed
- 14″ rise enhances capture above cooktop for effective venting
- Telescopic downdraft hood rises 14 in. from behind the cooktop and retracts when not in use, offering a seamless design for your kitchen
- Touch-activated telescopic operation make raising and lowering the vent easy
- Variable speed slide control allows you adjust the venting to suit the need
- Powerful 600 CFM centrifugal blower to quickly clear kitchen air
- Vertical exterior ventilation, 10 in. round vent duct is recommended
- Dishwasher safe premium mesh filters are easy to keep clean
- Limited 1-year warranty
- California residents see Prop 65 WARNINGS
Whirlpool 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft System in Stainless Steel (MODEL #UXD8630DYS)
Whirlpool 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft system is perfect for big gatherings. It features a 14 in. rise which help with those pesky odors when cooking for big parties. With a dual centrifugal blower you won’t even know it is there. It is dishwasher safe for when those messes are too much to clean with a simple towel.
- Powerful 600 CFM interior blower motor included
- Touch-activated telescoping operation
- Dual centrifugal blower operates quieter than an axial-type fan
- Telescopic downdraft hood rises from behind the cooktop and retracts when not in use, offering a seamless design for your kitchen
- Touch-activated telescoping operation make raising and lowering the vent easy
- Variable speed slide control allows you to match the speed to the venting need
- Powerful 600 CFM centrifugal blower to quickly pull smoke and cooking odors out of the air
- Dishwasher safe mesh filters are easy to keep clean
- Dual centrifugal blower moves more air and operates more quietly than an axial-type (bladed) fan
- Vertical exterior ventilation (3-1/4 in. x 10 in. rectangular duct)
- Auto-Off function activates when the vent is retracted
- Limited 1-year warranty
Cafe 30 in. Range Hood Telescopic Downdraft System with Light in Matte Black, Fingerprint Resistant (Model # CVW93013MDS)
GE’s Cafe 30 in. Range Hood Telescopic Downdraft System is perfect for keeping the kitchen smell free. With it’s powerful 4-speed fan control you are able to adjust the vents to match your cooking. Easily cleanable because of its removable grease filter which eliminates hand scrubbing.
- 590 CFM venting system make sure everyone is focused only on your food; with a 590 CFM venting system that removes smoke, grease, odors and moisture from the air
- Vertical exhaust enjoy a fresh-smelling kitchen all the time with a vertical exhaust that takes smoke, grease, odors and moisture away from the cooktop
- Night light – see your way through midnight snacking with a night light that softly illuminates the cooktop and surrounding areas
- 4-speed fan control – adjust your vents to match your cooking techniques with four-speed fan control that removes grease, odors and moisture
- Dual halogen cooktop lighting – clearly watch the progress of preparing your favorite meals with dual halogen cooktop lighting that brightly illuminates the cooking surface
- Removable grease filter – keep your clean-up to a minimum with a removable grease filter that helps eliminate hand scrubbing
- Limited 1-year entire appliance warranty
- California residents see Prop 65 WARNINGS
- Smudge proof and undeniably beautiful
Bosch 800 Series 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft System in Stainless Steel, Blower Sold Separately (Model # HDD80051UC)
Bosch’s 800 Series 30 in. Telescopic Downdraft System features front panel filter design guards against splatters. It also features 3-speeds power level for whatever kind of cooking is happening in the kitchen.
- Beautifully Designed To Preserve Clean Sight Lines When Not In Use
- Quiet At 2.1 Sones On Low Speed
- Sleek Front Panel Filter Design Acts As A Guard Against Splatter
- Dishwasher Safe Mesh Filters Makes Cleaning And Maintenance Easy
- 5 Exhaust Connections Possible (Transition Required, Sold Separately)
- 3-Speeds Give Power Level Options To Suit Your Cooking Needs
- Integrated Knob Control Is Simple To Use To Adjust Fan Speeds
- Internal, Inline, Remote Blowers Sold Separately For Personalization
- Non-ducted recirculation possible with separate accessory kit
- Blower motor sold separately (see accessories tab to purchase)
Overall, every downdraft system has its cons and pros, whatever your kitchen needs, it will be up to choose which route you want to go. Whichever downdraft system you choose from make sure there is compatibility with your current range or electric stove, if you are buying the downdraft system separately.
About Satin & Slate Interior Design Company
Founded in 2017, Satin and Slate is one of the elite interior design studios in Southern California. Located in Long Beach, this dedicated team of designers oversees from kitchen and bathroom renovations to commercial projects. Equipped with their own showroom/studio they can satisfy the needs of any client. Featuring clean lines, bright colors and fresh ideas Satin and Slate’s mission is to bring your vision to life and help transform your space into something extraordinary.